Move Yourself! Exercise Program
Enjoy the crisp autumn air while walking with us! If you prefer a climate controlled class join us for one of our indoor exercise classes. The Salem County Department of Health & Human Services’ Office on Aging and Disabilities invites you to “Move Yourself!” this November at our indoor and outdoor activities.
The popularity of the indoor exercise classes continue two days a week, with a nurse on site for indoor exercise activities. Caregivers are welcome to attend with their client or family member. On Thursdays, participants have the option of going outside to take part in a group walk at one of the county’s parks.
Indoor exercise classes include Core Strength, High Intensity Interval Training, Chair Yoga, Indoor Walking, and Stretch & Strength. These low impact exercises are great for a beginner, senior, or individuals with disabilities or special needs. \
The indoor exercises will take place at 10:30 am every Tuesday and Thursday at the Mid-Atlantic States Training Center (formerly known as Queen of Apostles), 391 South Broadway, Pennsville. The popular outdoor walk, which will take place every Thursday at 10:30 am in various parks throughout the county. Both feature information on various health topics.
Transportation will be available through the Scoot buses operated through County Office of Aging and Disabilities. For Scoot transportation information and reservations, call (856) 339-8644. Reservations require 48 hours advance notice.
There are other benefits for taking part in the Move Yourself! program:
- Twice a month, the Office of Aging and Disabilities offers free box lunches to seniors who participate in the exercise program. In November, boxed lunches will be given out on Thursday, November 7th and Thursday, November 21st. Seniors must register 48 hours in advance by calling the general information number, (856) 339-8622.
A special topic is presented during each exercise and walk. In November, participants will focus on “When to talk to your doctor signs and symptoms that you don’t want to ignore”. Thursday, November 7th –Signs and Symptoms of Alzheimer’s, Tuesday, November 12th – Signs and Symptoms of Lung Cancer, Thursday, November 14th – Signs and Symptoms of COPD, Tuesday, November 19th – Signs and Symptoms of Pancreatic Cancer, Thursday, November 21st– Signs and Symptoms of Diabetes and Tuesday, November 26th– Thanksgiving Safety.
- Once a month, on the last Tuesday, the nursing division offers free screenings for sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol.
Below is the list of dates for indoor exercise classes at Mid-Atlantic States Training Center, 391 South Broadway in Pennsville, and the park locations for the outdoor walks. All classes begin at 10:30 a.m.
- Tuesday, November 5th Election Day (No Class)
- Thursday, November 7th
- Fort Mott State Park- Fort Mott Rd Pennsville (Outdoor)
- Core Strength & Indoor Walk Mid-Atlantic States Training Center (Indoor)
- Tuesday, November 12th
- High Intensity Interval Training-Mid-Atlantic States Training Center (Indoor)
- Thursday, November 14th
- Carneys Point Recreation Park- Pennsgrove-Auburn Rd. Carneys Point (Outdoor)
- Tai Chi & Stretch-Mid-Atlantic States Training Center (Indoor)
- Tuesday, November 19th
- Strength (optional 2-5 lb hand weights) Mid-Atlantic States Training Center (Indoor)
- Thursday, November 21st
- Riverview Beach Park-Route 49 Pennsville (Outdoor)
- Chair Yoga (optional yoga mat) Mid-Atlantic States Training Center (Indoor)
- Tuesday, November 26th
- High Intensity Interval Training Mid-Atlantic States Training Center (Indoor)
- Thursday, November 28th Thanksgiving (No Class)
In the event of severe weather, the outdoor exercise class may be cancelled, or moved inside, please contact 856-339-8622.
For more information about Move Yourself! Salem County Exercise Program, visit us online at health.salemcountynj.gov or call 856-339-8622. Also, get regular updates and walk dates and times at our Facebook page, located at www.facebook.com/SalemCountyHealth