The Greater Elmer Area Historical Society is excited to announce their first open house tour, “A Curiosity Tour: A Mix of Old and New,” to be held on Saturday, November 17th from 3pm to 7pm. About a dozen local residences and churches will be open for the tour, starting at the Greater Elmer Area Historical Society’s museum, located at 117 Broad Street in Elmer.

One of the oldest houses on the tour is the David V.M. Smith House, which housed the first post office in Elmer and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Also open on South Main Street will be the Nolans’ house, which was the first location of Christy’s Funeral Home, and the Long’s house, formerly the Dodge house. The Elmer United Methodist Church will also be on the tour; the original portion of this church was built 150 years ago in 1868, with the stone building dating to 1896, along with the adjoining parsonage. Houses in Pittsgrove and Upper Pittsgrove will also be on the tour, including the farmhouse in Monroeville that once belonged to the Kramme family (now owned by the Digneos) and the former home of the Walkers on Fork Bridge Road (now owned by the Coblentz family). Other houses on the tour include residences from the Victorian era and the 20th century.

As a celebration of Elmer’s 125th Anniversary, there will also be refreshments compliments of the Borough of Elmer served on the grounds of the Historical Society at 117 Broad Street in Elmer from 2pm to 7pm. These refreshments are available to the entire community of Elmer, regardless of whether participating in the open house tour.

Advance tickets to the tour are $12 and can be purchased by calling Leah Bucolo at 609-247-8828, or by visiting Peggy’s Country Gifts & Antiques, Talk of the Town Coffee Shop, New Dodge’s Market, Kountry Kitchen, Elmer Thrift Shop, or the Elmer Library. Tickets can be purchased with cash or checks made out to the Greater Elmer Area Historical Society.

On the day of the tour, tickets are $15 and can be purchased at the Greater Elmer Area Historical Society at 117 Broad Street, Elmer NJ beginning at 1pm. House Tour program booklets with a map of all the sites will also be available to pick up at the Historical Society on the day of the tour. Proceeds from the tour will be used for the preservation and maintenance of the museum’s historic building, formerly St. Ann’s Catholic Church built in 1894.

For more information about the tour, please call 856-305-0345, email greaterelmerareahistory@gmail.com or visit www.facebook.com/greaterelmerareahistoricalsociety.

Translate »