- Inspectors review applications and issue permits for Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems (septic systems).
- Permits are reviewed in accordance with the State Standards for proper design, installation and maintenance. A properly functioning septic system protects ground water and prevents exposure to disease causing agents.
- Inspectors also perform field inspections of installations.
- Inspectors respond to citizen complaints of overflowing septic systems.
- Enforcement is done through court actions.
Are you a septic system inspector who performs system inspections for real estate transactions or a homeowner, real estate agent or lawyer involved in a real estate transfer? If so, please read the following documents to understand the procedure that needs to be followed in order for the inspection to be considered a Department recognized inspection as per N.J.A.C. 7:9A.
System inspection protocol for septic system inspectors (This inspection protocol shall be followed in order for the inspection to be identified as a Department recognized inspection by the Salem County Health Department)
Onsite System Inspection Form (This inspection form shall be used, filled out completely and accurately in order for the inspection to be identified as a Department recognized inspection by the Salem County Health Department)
As of April 2,2012, the new NJAC 7:9A rules have taken effect in regards to septic system installations and repairs to existing septic systems. The following documents are related to the new code. Please visit NJDEP’s website for additional information pertaining to the new code changes-
Please contact the Salem County Division of Environmental Health for additional information – (856)935-7510 x 8448
- 2013 Revised Environmental Fee Schedule
- Approved Septic design coverletter To homeowners
- Engineer Certification For Repairs to Existing Septic Systems
- NJAC 7-9A Application
- NJAC 7-9a Standards for Individual Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
- Septic System Question And Answer Sheet
- Sieve Analysis Engineer Form
- Technical Manual for Applications for Treatment Works Approvals
- WATER TIGHTNESS TESTING COMPLETION CERTIFICATION