110 Fifth Street, Salem NJ 08079
Contact Veterans’ Services Staff
Monday thru Friday from 8:30am – 3:30pm
Director of Veterans’ Affairs
Joseph J. Hannagan, Jr.
Freeholder Director/Veterans’ Liaison
Toys for Tots
Mike McFadden – 609-774-6276
Services Offered to Veterans & Families
- Phone call counseling
- Filing Claims: Assistance in preparing and filing claims in the County Office, in homes or assisted living facilities as needed.
- Veterans Cemetery: Assistance working with funeral directors, obtaining markers and making arrangements for burial in the County Veterans Cemetery.
- Military History: Assistance obtaining military history, awards and discharge papers
- Community Outreach: Conducts speaking engagements for educational purposes and participation in community parades, events and functions.
- Special affairs: Attends special affairs throughout the year honoring our veterans, such as the “Salem County Salutes Our Armed Forces Enlistees Ceremony,” hosted by the Salem County Freeholder Board.
Military Service Medal Applications
Applications are being accepted now and you will be notified about 1 week before as to the time and place of the Medal presentation. Those who do not wish to attend a public presentation can fill out the application and check “NO” on the form. When your certificate is ready you will be notified to come to the Veteran Services. Office for a one on one presentation. We do not mail medals.
The next Military Service Medal Ceremony will be held in November 9, 2015 and the deadline for applications is October 2. The ceremony was created to express the Counties gratitude by honoring its residents who served on active duty with any branch of our regular active armed forces and were separated under “Honorable Conditions.” Veterans or families interested in recognizing a family member posthumously may complete a service medal application.
- Download the Salem County Military Service Medal Application
- Download the POSTHUMOUS Salem County Military Service Medal Application
- Accepting Military Service Medal Applications until October 2, 2015.
The next Military Service Medal Ceremony will be held on November 9, 2015. The ceremony was created to express the County’s gratitude by honoring its residents who served on active duty with any branch of our regular active armed forces and were separated under “Honorable Conditions.” Veterans or families interested in recognizing a family member posthumously may complete a service medal application.
- Salem County 2nd Annual Veterans picnic will be held at Salem County Fair Grounds on Sunday, October 18, 2015 from 12 to 4pm. For more information contact the Veterans’ office AT 856-339-8603.
- Salem County Identifies Funding Source for Veterans Cemetery
- Support the Salem County Veterans Cemetery Beautification Project
*NOTE: If there is anyone missing from these pages, please let us know. However, keep in mind that the names listed here are only the casualties, not everyone that served in these wars.
Salem County Veterans Memorial Cemetery Rules
The Salem County Veterans Memorial Cemetery has been established as a shrine to our Veterans and must be maintained, as well as any other National Cemetery.
Therefore, the following rules must be adhered to:
- All gravestones must be made of flat bronze 12 inches high by 24 inches wide.
- All gravestones must be placed flat to the ground.
- American Flags are supplied by the Freeholder Board and will be displayed on Memorial Day and Veterans Day only, and will be taken down immediately after the holiday.
- No other flags are permitted to be flown.
- No planting of flowers or plants will be permitted.
- Flowers and artificial plants will be allowed; however, between mid April and mid November these will be removed every week, normally on a Wednesday, to allow for the grass to be mowed.
- No decorations around the bronze plaques! “Decorations WILL BE REMOVED.” Example: Special Stones, etc.
Salem County Veterans Cemetery
719 Route 45
Pilesgrove, NJ 08098